Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » CLUBS » Other US Clubs

Post subject: The Soap Factory- Palisades Park, New Jersey
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:31 am 

It was early in the 70's, a former Soap Factory was available, some "friends" acquired the property. A few years later, I helped hire the staff! I watched as this actual factory was transformed into a spectacular DISCO. They called it The Soap Factory. The Soap Factory Disco helped put disco on the national map. It was the location of a weekly disco television show of the same name in the mid and late 70s. Not generally frequented by celebrities, but a fun place. Then, one night at the close of the 70s, it made the decision to go from disco to rock and cater to a college crowd. It was a sign of the times.

I Remember
they had two dance floors, on the bottom
dance floor they had the airplane hanging from the ceiling. They had a
great sound system. The deejays were Alan Grohlke, Flamingo Joe and others.

Eventually it had to change with the times, and it was sold numerous times. Still there today?

Post subject: Jersey Clubs!
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:55 pm 

So even in distant Jersey they knew their Discos! The Soap Factory was as big in size and popularity as all those New York Clubs. In fact, they had something all those Big Apple clubs didn't have. A nationally syndicated television show. It featured local dancers, big time acts, and the interior of The Soap Factory!! Great Club, one of the best of its time!

Post subject: Now This Was A Great Club!
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:42 am 

The Soap Factory was one of the best clubs I ever saw, or experienced. Think 54 & Paradise Garage rolled into one!! This was a huge Club, held at least 3500 people, and the place looked empty! Excellent Dance Floors, the best lights in Jersey, and the best Sound System. The deejay was pretty good. He was as good as the big names. ALAN GROLKE I believe was his name. And you would see the celebrities that lived in the area. Travolta, Shields, Karen Black, Billy Martin, Sylvia Robinson and others. Then the acts they had. From Gloria Gaynor to The Trammps. They all played The Soap Factory. As for the TV show, great, I never saw it. But this place rocked!!

Post subject: Tell Us Alan
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:23 pm 

So Alan, you have yet to tell us a thing about The Soap Factory. was it the "Highlite" of your career? How did that television show ever come into being? How where those Italian women from North Jersey? Tell us the truth about The Soap Factory? What was the biggest song during your time there?

Post subject: Alan now here!
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:30 pm 

Are you guys aware that Alan Grohkle is now a member here? So Alan, tell us a few things about this Great Club!

Post subject: Alan Grohlke
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:09 pm 

Alan, yes, come and tell me all the nasty, dirty little secrets about the Soap Factory. Alan, you got pictures??

Post subject: Re: The Soap Factory- Palisades Park, New Jersey
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:05 pm 

Hey there all you Soap Factory Disco Zaniacs! :D OK, I have to admit, it's not easy finding information thats updated and accessible to The Soap Factory Disco Show. I was a regular dancer in Season One (1977-78) and I remember having such a great time!

I was at the club one night and out of the clear blue sky, one of the producers invited me to join the cast of dancers for a new t.v. show that was to start and be taped at the Soap Factory. I remember that we met once a month and taped 3 or 4 shows at one time so I had to be sure to bring 3-4 different dresses and outfits for each taping. I had two dance partners through my time as a dancer on the show, the first was my cousin who could dance anyone out on the floor, and the second was a great guy who also participated in a dance marathon with me (we didn't win though, but stuck it out for many many hours!)

It was so cool to be part of the show and it gave me a great chance to understand t.v., dancing and a bit of show biz. It was also a great credential on my performing resume, which I still am a performer and singer.

The Soap Factory was an incredible club. Two floor, huge place, with a bar/disco upstairs and a bar/disco downstairs where there was a little Sessna airplane actually hanging from the ceiling. There were disco balls, and lighted dance floors and music all night long!

As a dancer, we didn't get paid - it was all voluntary (well, at least for me) but I do remember receiving a case of iced tea as a thank you of sorts, I suppose from one of the sponsors of the show. I didn't mind though because it was cool to be recognized by total strangers coming up to me and saying "Hey, I saw you on t.v. today!!" haha!

Anyway - I don't recall having any photos of my own and would love to find something of myself from the show. I was a pretty young thing and loved to dazzle and dance and would enjoy adding anything about the show again to my performance resume so if anyone can help me, please do let me know! I'll check back when I can and promise to reply to you.

Thanks so much!!

Zania.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:28 pm 

who was involved in this system?

I heard that Mike C. (founder of NJ's Sound Environments, later)
had some early experiences at this club...

early "J-horn" prototyping done here as a "pull out' stage of sorts also maybe....

neat stuff...

hope all you folks had a nice Christmas/New Years...

be well, and take care

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:54 pm 

I really do not remember who was involved but something keeps coming back to me that the producers were D&M Productions. Could that be of help?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:36 pm 

everything brought to the table can be of help!
it's just a question of when all the dots get connected.

one never knows when it will happen though.

thanks!

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:59 pm 

Zania wrote:
Hey there all you Soap Factory Disco Zaniacs! :D OK, I have to admit, it's not easy finding information thats updated and accessible to The Soap Factory Disco Show. I was a regular dancer in Season One (1977-78) and I remember having such a great time!

I was at the club one night and out of the clear blue sky, one of the producers invited me to join the cast of dancers for a new t.v. show that was to start and be taped at the Soap Factory. I remember that we met once a month and taped 3 or 4 shows at one time so I had to be sure to bring 3-4 different dresses and outfits for each taping. I had two dance partners through my time as a dancer on the show, the first was my cousin who could dance anyone out on the floor, and the second was a great guy who also participated in a dance marathon with me (we didn't win though, but stuck it out for many many hours!)

It was so cool to be part of the show and it gave me a great chance to understand t.v., dancing and a bit of show biz. It was also a great credential on my performing resume, which I still am a performer and singer.

The Soap Factory was an incredible club. Two floor, huge place, with a bar/disco upstairs and a bar/disco downstairs where there was a little Sessna airplane actually hanging from the ceiling. There were disco balls, and lighted dance floors and music all night long!

As a dancer, we didn't get paid - it was all voluntary (well, at least for me) but I do remember receiving a case of iced tea as a thank you of sorts, I suppose from one of the sponsors of the show. I didn't mind though because it was cool to be recognized by total strangers coming up to me and saying "Hey, I saw you on t.v. today!!" haha!

Anyway - I don't recall having any photos of my own and would love to find something of myself from the show. I was a pretty young thing and loved to dazzle and dance and would enjoy adding anything about the show again to my performance resume so if anyone can help me, please do let me know! I'll check back when I can and promise to reply to you.

Thanks so much!!

Zania.

Just wondering...were the dances on Soap Factory choreographed? I met a woman who danced on the show and posted a video on facebook. The dance, with three couple doing the hustle, looked choreographed.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:05 pm 

There were some "professional" dancers/instructors at times for spotlights, but basically, no the dances were not choreographed. If you post here the link for your friends video, I may be able to recall in particular.

Board index » CLUBS » Other US Clubs